Tuesday 30 March 2010

Namsom, Thailand

20th -23rd February 2010

Namsom is a small town, I guess probably the same size/population as Perranporth in Cornwall. There are market stalls with fresh fruit and veg as well as other little shops selling all sorts; electronics, dog grooming supplies, cleaning products, as well as the normal hair salons, massage parlors, it almost has everything except major supermarkets or shopping malls, giving the town a wonderful sense of community.

Joy spent the second day introducing me to her sisters and brother that all live on the same quite rural road, which is just a short 5 minute drive from the town. One of Joy’s sisters has set up a noodle stall just next door to David and Joy’s which has proved very popular, in the short time that I was there it was very busy! On the other side of David and Joy’s, her brother has a steel fabrication business. It really was amazing to watch on this particular day an ornate metal gate presumably for someone’s drive way come out of a tiny, quite humble work station! Just a little further on is another of Joy’s sisters, who is a dress maker and teacher. I was welcomed in and Joy’s sister fixed one of my tops that was too big for me.

After Joy had finished introducing me to her family we jumped onto her moped and she took me just a short distance away, behind the row of houses and down a further dirt track where Joy and David have just established their farm. Although they have only just set the farm up in the last 10 months, I was very impressed with what they had achieved. At a guess I would say it was about 5 acres. Half the space is dedicated to dragon fruit, which apparently will be the most profitable once established. The rest of the farm has many vegetables and herbs, including spring onions and coriander…my favourite!

The town is small and friendly, with only a few falang (foreigners) that have also married Thai women, no white women though I was the only one, which turned a few heads to say the least! It was great to be in such a ‘off the beaten track’ setting, especially after being in Bangkok.

No comments:

Post a Comment